Do you know what to do if your heating and air conditioning goes on the blink?
What would we do without our heating and air conditioning systems? It’s hard to imagine living without them, even for a few days, especially in the middle of a hot North Carolina summer. If your air conditioner stops working, there are some simple troubleshooting tips every homeowner should know. These could get it back up and running before calling for service.
Tip #1: When the A/C Turns Off or Won’t Turn On
There are a few simple things you can check if your air conditioner turns off mid-cycle, or if it won’t turn on at all:
- Check the air filter. If you have a dirty or clogged air filter, your system can’t pull in air and will shut down or fail to start up.
- Make sure there isn’t anything blocking the fan that could be preventing it from functioning. If the fan can’t turn, the A/C won’t work.
- Check to make sure the compressor is on. Turn it off and then back on to see if that fixes the problem.
Tip #2: When the A/C Isn’t Blowing Cool Air
There’s no point in having an air conditioner if it only blows warm air. Here’s what to check:
- Check the condenser coil to be sure there isn’t debris on it or damage to the coil.
- Check the thermostat to be sure the settings are correct.
- Check the outdoor unit to be sure debris isn’t affecting the fan or feed line.
Having your A/C fail in the middle of a hot summer day can throw a wrench in your plans. If simple troubleshooting doesn’t get you back in business, contact the team at H.H. Hovey for all your heating and air conditioning service needs.