Does your indoor air quality include potential exposure to carbon monoxide?
Your home’s indoor air quality is essential to how you feel, how you sleep, and how productive you are in your daily life. It can have a significant impact on your quality of life, health, and well-being. But what are the chances that something more than simple airborne pollutants can get into your indoor air? Let's take a look at the truth about carbon monoxide and the benefits of a carbon monoxide detector.
What Is Carbon Monoxide and Why Is It Dangerous?
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas. It is a by-product of fuel-burning heating systems, among other things. It forms when there is incomplete combustion of carbon. If there is a carbon monoxide leak from your furnace, the gas can become concentrated in your home.
High levels can be lethal. When breathed in, carbon monoxide displaces the oxygen in your blood, which results in lack of oxygen to your heart, lungs, and other organs. When this happens, the symptoms include a headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, and drowsiness. People with exposure often collapse and are unable to leave the affected area, which can lead to death.
The Benefits of Having a Carbon Monoxide Detector
A CO detector will alert you when carbon monoxide is present in the air in your home. It detects very small amounts, which buys you precious time. It gives you the opportunity to open windows and doors, call for emergency response, and leave the home and get to a safe place.
Do you need more than one reason to have a CO detector in your home? The truth is, it can save your life and the lives of your family members and loved ones.
Contact our team at H.H. Hovey Heating and Cooling today for a carbon monoxide detector you can trust and all the information you need to improve your indoor air quality.